Friday, December 19, 2008

to scrimp or not to scrimp???

My parents are here in NZ for the holidays and our most awaited out-of-town vacation is causing a stir in the house! Weeeeee! Reservations for accommodation, transportation, etc. are all ready…However, when my ever concerned father (who is brilliant on financial matters) saw the print-out of our expected expenses; he suggested that we forgo some of our plans because of the looming crisis ahead. As much as I would like to give in to my innermost desires, I can’t help but admit that he is utterly sensible (as always)!

With the escalating unemployment rate and all economic woes flooding the news anywhere in the globe, it’s hard not to worry about what is in store next year. Sure enough, the crisis can’t be felt that much right now but economists foresee a global financial meltdown after the holidays. Is there really a great depression in sight?

My fingers (and toes) are crossed that bail-out plans (which are all Greek to me) will work their magic. Somehow, I’m dwelling on a wishful thinking that this will only be some sort of recession; just a part of the economy cycles…but yes, I certainly understand that this is a toss-up situation.

And so to scrimp is out of the question already! From now on, I will be officially Ms. Scrimpy (until further notice).

P.S.
Funny how ironic it is: during the times when people aren’t traveling, it is when there are really good holiday packages…Damn principles of supply and demand! Haaay, we are indeed in a world full of ironies! Tsk tsk

No comments: