Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Diwali!

Unique cultures in Asia interest me a lot and Indian is on top of my list. I know India isn’t a popular choice for many Pinoy travelers and I wonder why. Why not? The fact that the renowned yoga and kama sutra originated there is compelling enough for me. It’s one of my MUST see places.

So when I heard that they will be celebrating their festival of light in advance (2weeks ago) here in Auckland, hubby and I were there - needless to say hehe...I'm not sure but it seems like we were the only Pinoys there (snob ba?! hmmm) and of course, there were many Caucasians and other Asians too
.

I enjoyed tasting an array of Indian dishes which are mostly vegetarian. I like vegetables, curry and spicy cuisine so you can also expect me to like their dishes too; although there was this drink (I forgot the name) that I found awfully bizarre but worth-tasting anyway. Their bright and colorful costumes (saris, salwars, etc.) gave the festival more vivacity. Their women look really fabulous in it. Now, I acknowledge the fact that many of them are really gorgeous – eyes, nose…pang-Miss Universe jud!…And oh! their distinctive dances truly entertained me too to the point that it made me consider learning it. Mind you, it might look easy on TV (and sometimes funny) but when you look closely, the moves are quite intricate. Look at this sample video; I dare you to do the moves with all the facial expression and grace ha?! hehe…

Anyhoo, here are some photos during the festival



Happy Diwali!

No comments: